Wednesday, May 14, 2008

National Obama Radio

Hillary won West Virginia in a landslide. That doesn't matter. Those people are nothing but ignorant racists, at least that was the impression I got from NPR and Ed Schultz. Now I can accept that, but what does it say about those proud, hard-working, open-minded people from South Carolina? That must make them ignorant... No, I shudder to think.

When I got home from work today there was an envelope from my local NPR station in the mail box. I was first turned on to NPR by a Jewish, lesbian professor I worked with in the mid-90s. So, if you think I am narrow-minded, I would love to prove you wrong. Anyway, this envelope was asking me for a pledge during the Spring Fundraiser. Now, normally I would just throw the thing away and pledge in my own sweet time. This time, however, I decided to act. I called the station.

"W---," came the voice on the other end. I told the female that I was calling about the fundraising envelope I received in the mail. I have been a loyal listener for 10 years but WOULD NOT be making a contribution in 2008. I was disappointed in how NPR had crowned Obama king without due process. She asked if I would like to comment to the station. I thought she wanted me to come in. No, she said, I can transfer you. "Yes, please do," was my reply.

"W---," said a second voice, "can I take your donation?"

Well, no.

I said the same thing I said to the first person. She said, "I'm just a volunteer so..."

"Pass it on," I said.

-Post Script- A wonderful suggestion was made to me since this happened. The money that I am not sending to the Obama campaign (care of NPR) would make an excellent campaign contribution to Senator McCain.

2 comments:

The Chief said...

I am very glad to hear you do this... they should hear feedback but in this case, it seems like all they wanted to do was get you off the phone so people could contribute.

NPR has degenerated into nothing more than the love-fest forum for Obama. During their pledge drive, they LOVE to remind you that they are commercial free and are hence free from any corporate self-interests. Then tell me... what about political interests? I think you cave to the people you THINK are your listeners: the so-called idealistic guilty white college students who have taken up the Obama torch based on nothing but nonsensical and informative speeches full of bluster and braggadocio.

NPR: National Partial (to Obama) Radio.

MR LAYTOM or MR GANZ said...

I do not listen to Public Radio that much. I do like CAR TALK and some other shows, but I do not like the bombardment to ask for money. have limited commercial interruption and have sponsorship. Sometimes they spend 70% of the show on collections