Tuesday, June 17, 2008

a new member of the family


Have you ever been to Silent Hill? If not I highly recommend a visit. Whether it is through the original title released in 1999 for Sony's Playstation, the four follow-up titles for the PS2 or the 2006 film release it is always a memorable journey. The basic story for any of these is that the main character is somehow called to this eerie town for reasons they can't imagine. Once there they encounter Alessa Gillespie, her mother Dahlia, a strange local religious group with questionable practices and, most importantly, the town itself.

There are two sides to Silent Hill and I don't think I am spoiling any surprises to briefly discuss them here. The first side is that of an abandoned town covered in a mysterious gray which is either mist, ashes or some other concoction. Most of the buildings are still standing and look as if they have recently been inhabited, but there is never anyone to be found. The story unfolds as you pick up clues that lead you from place to place in what never fails to be a VERY solitary experience. The second side is the pitch-black, rust-covered undershell of the town where the past is very much alive and manifests itself in the form of some very bizarre, twisted, fleshy remnants of beings that stalk you. It is here that much of the truth reveals itself. Your job is to unite the pieces from both sides and try to bring about some closure.

While considered a "survival horror" game, Silent Hill does NOT employ the gotcha tactics made famous by other such titles as Resident Evil. I remember the first time I played that one and the dog came crashing through the window and I almost lost it. Silent Hill doesn't surprise or startle you in such a superficial way. It is truly a creepy, unsettling experience. It is like you are walking through some sort of nightmarish hell. The only light in the darkness comes through the cone projected by your clip-on flashlight. You are always aware of approaching monsters because your transistor radio does NOT play music but turns up the static when danger approaches. The soundtrack, with its heart-pounding sounds definitely sets the tone for this dark, forboding town.

Anyway, the title of this entry deals with family. I got a kitten on Memorial Day with great help from my sister. She thought it was time, and I must have too.
Well, I have been dealing with a lot of hissing and swatting from Brunton, a cat who I have had for nearly 9 years and who, apparently, doesn't like kittens. This has disrupted the environment and it has been difficult to accept her as a family member. That has all changed recently.

While playing Silent Hill Origins, the newest PS2 release and prequel to the series, I had turned off the kitchen light. The music was turned up and I was just looking around at the decay, the rust, the blood and really just feeling the gloom created by this game when BAM! I was hit by something. I jumped out of my chair and looked down to see Ms. Hudson (as illustrated above). I very nearly pissed myself! Now it is a well-known fact that the late, great Musgrave had a knack for doing this. Being jet-black she moved silently through the shadows and would appear as if out of nowhere. It made the Silent Hill experience even more thrilling! Now it seems as if she has someone to carry on her legacy. It was at that moment that Hudson became a member of the elgarf family. Now I just need to convince Brunton.

No comments: