Saturday, December 15, 2007

VACANCY


"It's not as though she were a maniac or some raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes. We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?"

One of my all-time favorite quotes. Norman Bates has invited Marion Crane into the parlor behind the office of the Bates Motel for sandwiches and milk. It is a rainy night on the outskirts of Fairvale California and she has pulled off the road for the night. Not wanting to travel another 10 miles in the rain to reach the nearest diner, she accepts Norman's "hospitality".

I first saw Hitchcock's masterpiece, PSYCHO, while in highschool some 17 years ago. He has been a hero of mine since. Not for the brutal slayings, but for the way that he deals with the shitty hand life has dealt him. At heart he's not a bad guy. He was raised by a sick, overbearing, troubled woman. In his attempts to please her things have gone wrong.

I have had the VHS version of this 1960 film for many years, and had an old beat up tape that had 2 of the three sequels. I was excited and very much pleased to find the DVD release in a local super-center that contains PSYCHO II, PSYCHO III, and PSYCHO IV The Beginning. It is nearly impossible to match the magic of an original movie in a sequel, and these films certainly do not do that. Having said that, they are a very rewarding continuation of the Norman Bates story. I love the premise of PSYCHO II where Norman returns to the house and motel 22 years later and deals with people who refuse to forget his past. PSYCHO III keeps the ball rolling, but, by itself it is not that memorable. Then there is PSYCHO IV. Henry Thomas plays a teenage Norman Bates and illustrates the events that made him a slave to his mother, Norma. Released in 1990 it was one of Anthony Perkins' final films and plays out as a "prequel" several years before George Lucas made that a nauseating buzz-word.

I can't say enough about this series and my favorite serial killer of all time (with apologies to John Kramer, my number 2) and at $14.00 for three movies it was was an absolute steal!

3 comments:

The Chief said...

You know, this post reminds me of the 1998 REMAKE. I capitalize all the letter of the word because to simply say it was a remake would be understating the fact; Why on Earth would anyone even think remaking Psycho, WORD FOR FREAKING WORD be a good idea?

Let's forget that Vince Vaughn was in the film (hey, even Bill Murray did his flop with The Razor's Edge!!!) This was just a terrible idea.

Elgarf said...

I can appreciate the sentiment of the director (was it Esterhas?). Many "artists" believe that one way to touch greatness is to recreate a master work. The shots were all the same, blah, blah, blah. It just didn't work. I think part of the problem was the casting. I love Vince Vaughn but it didn't click. I, however do not love Ann Heche, and can't stand William H. Macy. He was a Piss-Poor excuse for Martin Balsam and he will be judged harshly in the afterlife (assuming there is one) for this abomination.

MR LAYTOM or MR GANZ said...

I thought the movie Vancancy was awful, and I think that this post reminds me of the Harry Chapin song "Vacancy". Very nice job on this part.