Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"That cat's something I can't explain"


I type this listening to the Mono Mix of Lucifer Sam on the 40th Anniversary Special Edition of (Syd's) Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I first saw this set a couple weeks ago and my first impulse was to pick it up right then and there, but the $36 dollar price tag held me back. Then, just this past Saturday I took a box full of lps to the local record trader. I was given $70 store credit for stuff that had just taken up space for the last 8 or ten years! With that I ordered the set and just received it today. As for the sound, it's great, but I have not had the time to compare it to the stereo mix. I will say that with a quick run through I have noticed that the voices shouted through the megaphone at the beginning of Astonomy sound more distinct. More to come on that later. The third disc has a few treats on it. The first 5 tracks are a mimic of the singles disc included in Shine On from 10 years ago, but for up and coming fans Candy and a Currant Bun and Apples and Oranges might be a pleasant surprise. I was very much impressed with the alternate lyrics on Matilda (track 8), not so much by their composition but by their inclusion here and Interstellar Overdrive (take 6), which definitely has some experimentation on it not heard in the various other versions of this track.

I think the packaging on this is the hook, however. It looks like a hard-bound book and includes photographs of this original line-up in the recording studio around the equipment. I hadn't seen these shots before so was impressed. They also included a booklet that is a facsimile of one of Syd Barrett's art portfolios. It is quite fascinating to see the way he mingled words and images in these collages.

Just like anything else, I believe that this will appeal to the fans. It certainly won't convert people to the flock, but it is a refreshing change from the same old cd with a new insert in the same old jewel case. I just hope that Animals eventually receives a similar presentation.

2 comments:

The Chief said...

As Elgarf knows, I am a fan of Pink Floyd but I'm not sure where I fall on the fan-meter. First off, I am nowhere near - NOWHERE near - Elgarf's level of sophistication and knowledge for the group. Elgarf is not someone I can just say, "he's a Pink Floyd fan" because I don't think that phrase is demonstrative enough. I like the word connesiuer but cannot spell it so I will instead use the term 'expert.' However, I am not a neophyte when it comes to appreciating them either. I think there are a lot of people out there (perhaps younger kids) who feel that if they go to their local mall and pick up The Wall then they can say - "I'm a Floyd fan, man!" Not true. As someone who regards themself as a fan, I would choose Dark Side of the Moon as my favorite album and as for the best song - I'm not sure I've really settled that question in my mind but Elgarf, again, makes a great case with "Dogs" from the Animals album.

Anyway, one point I wanted to make is that I would like, very much, to see some of Syd's artwork. The man had a unique way of looking at life - oh hell - let's just say it - that man was influenced by substances that are not natural to the human body and I'm sure it's some really 'far out' art!

Anonymous said...

VERY GOOD IDEA ON YOUR RECYCLING HABITS. I ONLY WISH MY FRIEND WITH THE 5,000 CD'S WOULD TAKE THIS ADVICE UP AND GET RID OF SOME OF HIS COLLECTION BECAUSE IT IS QUITE OBVIOUS THAT HE DOES NOT LISTEN TO 905 OF THEM.