Thursday, January 10, 2008

You old bastard, you.


At 7:00 am (in the morning) I was backing out of the driveway. Renee Montaigne was just giving the highlights of the news to come, but right before the break she wished a happy birthday to Donald Fagen. "The man who sang 'Hey Nineteen' turns 60,"
she said.

I have always known and loved Steely Dan. I have been a "Steely Fan" for only 16 years. I recall an evening in '92 or '93 when I was in the backseat of a friend's car with my girlfriend coming back from somewhere during my first (or second) year of college somewhere in small-town Pennsylvania (Pee-Ay, as we say). A local radio station was playing an evening of "B sides". Obviously, at this point, the cd had replaced the record, but the station was playing the second half of a series of albums. I'm (somewhat) sure they played Peg and Hey 19, but it has been a while. At the break the DJ announced that it was a 'best of' album by Steely Dan. It was one of those moments of revelation. I recognized just about every song that was played, but could not put a name to the band before that night. As a child I would hear the songs on pop radio, so I knew them, but not really. They sounded different that night. I had recently played in a high-school garage band and knew a little more about music than I previously had. This "pop" music had depth, layer, texture, color, flavor... I was completely surrounded by ORCHESTRATED sound and I fell in love, as if I had heard these old, tired, familiar songs for the first time. Soon thereafter I bought my first copy of 1976's Aja, at a now defunct record store, and yes, it was on vinyl. It wasn't long before I got the boxed set, Citizen Steely Dan, which collects all of the studio albums onto 4 cds. I saw them live in 1996, then in 2000, then in 2003, and finally in 2006. I truly love these guys.

Anyway, I am listening to 2006's Morph the Cat by Messr. Fagen as I type. While the title track of his first solo album, The Nightfly, ranks among my all-time favorite songs ("you say there's a race of men in the trees, you're for tough legislation, thanks for calling, we wait all night for calls like these") and his second outing, Kamikiriad, has delightful jazz-pop tunes, there is no question that "Morph" is his finest. So I say, if at 58 Donald Fagen recorded his second finest work (only behind Aja), then I wish him a happy 60th birthday, and look forward to the next, productive 60 years!

7 comments:

The Chief said...

Happy Birthday, Donald!!! First off, I can't disagree with anything here - As Elgarf knows, I have been a Steely Dan fan for many years now and have listened and loved right along with Elgarf. I also want to throw out 2003's Everything Must Go as one of the Dan albums that ranks up there very close to Aja for two very important reasons: First, it really recaptured that Steely Dan sound that (while still a good album), I felt that Two Against Nature lacked. Second, the album and many of it's songs stood as concrete metaphors for our post-911 world and showed how hurt and affected Fagen and Walter Becker were when their beloved New York City was so viciously attacked.

By the way, I know the Burroughs reference at the bottom - does anyone else know that his book, Naked Lunch had a dildo in the book named the "Steely Dan III!!!"

Nice post, Elgarf!

Elgarf said...

Very well said, Chief. Not only was Fagen a fan of the late Mr. Burroughs, the two became friends. I have a recording of Bill B. reading poetry over a soundtrack by various artists, one of them being Donald Fagen. The poetry is some really weird acid-type stuff, but it does lend itself to this style of music.

MR LAYTOM or MR GANZ said...

This post was a fantastic piece of literature. It ranks up there with the best. I am sure that you know my story about STEELY DAN, but I would like to refresh it here. As you realize we went to the same small school in NW Pee AAh. When I first heard the name Steely Dan, I got then confused with England Dan and John Ford-Coley, who are two other singers. I feel close to 15 years after I have first heard their music, I mean I have heard the music for a lot longer time, but I didn't know who sang these songs. I still enjoy DO IT AGAIN, and I love REELING IN THE YEARS

Elgarf said...

I am proud and honored to have the privelege to state that I have seen this most hallowed artist (Mr. Fagen) and his group (Steely Dan) with each of the gentlemen who have just commented. Mr. O'Malley was there in 1996 when we saw the "Art Crimes" tour. The Chief was there in 2003 with "Everything Must Go" and again in 2006 with the "Steelyard Sugartooth McDan and the Faboriginies". A lifetime of great music, and a decade of great memories!

Thanks, guys.

The Chief said...

The pleasure was all mine! I owe you thanks for '03's EMG concert - this was a wonderful graduation gift from a great friend of mine! And a great show!

MR LAYTOM or MR GANZ said...

ELGARF. I AM WAITING FOR SOME UPDATES. YOU AND THE CHIEF COMPLAIN THAT I DO NOT UPDATE ENOUGH, BUT 12 DAYS IS TOO LONG ON YOUR PART

Elgarf said...

You've got me there, Mr. O'Malley.
"I own myself an ass" as the captain stated before he set sail with Squire Trelawney, Jim Hawkins, and Long John Silver for Treasure Island.