Saturday, January 5, 2008

Patience, my lad...

I see that it is two weeks since my last posting, and about damn time. As for those violent drawings, the culprit has been apprehended and dealt with (somewhat severely). I will not make any further reference here. Those of you in the know either have the details or can get them quite easily. I prefer to make this posting somewhat lighter, even though the language may become somewhat coarse.

Today, on a lazy Saturday, here in the midwest, I decided to go to my local record trader. I was not looking for anything specific, but after a long awaited pay-day and several bills out of the way I was in the mood to browse. This is what I found:
That is Michael Nesmith and the First National Band's second album, LOOSE SALUTE. Should it mean a goddamn thing to you? Not necessarily. That is, until you've had the back story. As many of you know, I have been a fan of the Monkees (that's right, the "Pre-Fab Four") for the greater part of my life. Well, it began at the age of 12, and I am now... I came to the group at the 20th anniversary in 1986 when MTV began a revival of the old shows. Nick at Nite soon picked them up and I had about 40 something out of the 58 episodes on VHS. I won't bore you with the details. Mike Nesmith was always my favorite. I guess he was the least silly and actually had some musical talent about him (Peter Tork was a close second as far as music goes). Anyway, since then I have become somewhat of a collector and even proudly sport a Nez tattoo (as seen in the header of this blog). As of this morning I had 6 solo albums. I once came upon Loose Salute at a pretentious record trader on Rte 18. I won't specify which Rte. 18, but I will give you a description of the proprietor. She was/is a 60 + woman of indeterminate hair color (I have seen it dyed several shades) who grows no eyebrows of her own accord. They are, rather, penciled in a most obnoxious manner above those beady, suspicious little black heartless eyes that she focuses on her computer screen, far more important than the living breathing customer that may actually spend a dollar in the store established by her late husband.

Stop me. I ramble. At any rate, several years ago I saw this record on Rte. 18, in "HER" possession. She wanted $28.00 for it. Not having heard the album I couldn't say if it was worth it or not. I decided that I would find it more reasonably and not give this bitch the satisfaction. Her motto seems to be, "I have it and you don't, HA HA!!!" Don't get me wrong. I know the value of a rare recording and do not want to get something for free. She, however has no idea of what she has, but relies on the current market value she digs up on the internet. Fucking whore!

My local record trader had this 1970 recording for a grand total of 8 dollars 54 cents. I am willing to bet $28.00 that that whore still has her copy sitting on the shelf.

4 comments:

MR LAYTOM or MR GANZ said...

FUCK THAT BITCH. AND FUCK THE RECORD COMPANIES. WITH THE WHOLE DOWNLOADING INDUSTRY INCREASING IN ITS MAGNITUDE EVERY WHERE, AND WHEN THEY HAVE PROGRAMS THAT YOU CAN HOOK A TURNTABLE UP TO A COMPUTER AND TURN YOUR LPS TO A WAVE FILE OR AN MP3, AND YOU CAN TAKE THE HISS AND THE BUMPS OUT, THAT MY FRIEND IS A GREAT THING.

Elgarf said...

You're right, Mr. O'Malley. Converting vinyl to mp3 is a hobby of mine. I heard an argument recently that the recording industry grants you the right to listen to a recording in its current state if you legally purchased it. As for transferring files to mp3 players, that may or may not be legal. As a collector I have bought no less than 7 copies of a certain 1967 album. This includes vinyl, cassette, cd, remastered cd, and anniversary reissued cd. I have paid for the same goddamned material at least 7 goddamn times. Believe me, while I am not sharing it for download across the world wide web, I will use the files for my own listening convenience however I damn well please.

The Chief said...

First, the woman you speak of - I know her. I reported her sorry as to the BBB. I went in there one time and found the soundtrack to the movie Hoosiers with a price tag of it for $7.00. I took it up there and she told me it was $20.00!!!! Then she had the nerve to call me a liar! BITCH!!! I hope she burns in hell.

As for the recording industry - screw those people. If I buy an album - whether I put it on my own personal iPod or not is none of their damn business. If I buy a car from General Motors - GM doesn't get to tell me what I can do with it after I own it!!! The RIAA uses Gestapo tactics to hoard more money for themselves and to hurt their own consumers.

Anonymous said...

That lady always was a bitch. Ans she always wore too much makeup. Is the store even open anymore?