Saturday, February 23, 2008

First Contact

I just made contact with an official Oba-Maniac.
Don't worry about me, though. I'll be just fine.
The chief and I were just out for a bit of lunch. The corner of this restaurant was set up as a tactical base complete with a hopeful young man of about 20 wearing a bright blue Obama '08 t-shirt, his laptop computer (sporting Obama stickers), a blonde/preppy haircut, intellectual-looking spectacles, 2-days' stubble, and campaign literature to spare. He was speaking to several of the equally hopeful clientelle. While we could not hear the conversation, the chief and were in agreement that it must have been full of "Hope" and "Inspiration". I very much wanted to speak to this beacon of change, but didn't know quite what to say. Besides, he was very busy entertaining the crowd and distributing signs.

On his last trip back from the backseat of his car with more signs and literature I saw my chance. As he came through the door I said, "I would like to congratulate you. You guys are running a hell of a campaign and I think you're gonna win". He thanked me and replied that he thought they would too then asked, "so you're planning to vote in this election?"

I said, "Yes. I'm going to vote for Hillary, and then in November I will probably vote for McCain. Even though it has become a bad word in this campaign, I am voting for experience." I wanted him to know that, in spite of their rhetoric, they do not have the market on thoughtful, conscientious, informed, and hopeful voters. He responded that this was understandable and that it was nice to speak to me anyway.

2 comments:

The Chief said...

This kid was really delving into some serious "Obama-rama" hero-worship. Obama frightens me because the problems in this country and the dealings with other countries, particularly our enemies, will take more than "Hope for change."

My thoughts on Obama and his little hopeful lackeys is this: I can't believe the Audicity of Thinking Hope will Cure all.

MR LAYTOM or MR GANZ said...

Have you heard the bit about Obamaman, a take off of the candy man. The part with the manure is hysterical. Check out schnittshow.com for more info