Friday, February 1, 2008

Why I (still) like John McCain

This may completely disqualify me from any future discussions on politics, but with the current state of affairs, I feel that it needs to be addressed. Many years ago I was in between professions (and living arrangements). I had to solve the problem of staying in familiar surroundings or strike out where I had begun to forge my own path (career). There is no question that I did no more than fumble through the motions and end up where I am today, for good or ill. I bring this up because I vividly remember being in the parking lot of an animal shelter where I sought (and found) two companions that, today, I would be lost without, and listening to an NPR discussion. I do not recall, for sure, the interviewer but my memory leans toward Terry Gross, so let's go with that. The extra-marital information of President Bill Clinton was coming to light, and the battle lines were being drawn. Terry was interviewing Senator John McCain. While I was against impeachment, Senator McCain was for it. I thought, "Here we go, another right-wing extremist with a chip on his shoulder. " Little did I know.

As the interview progressed I got some insight into the conditions under which Senator McCain was held prisoner in Viet Nam. While I did not agree with his approach to the impeachment proceedings, I accepted his position and realized that he was not necessarily a partisan/one-issue man. Growing up democrat, it was a strange feeling to be moved by this man, and I found myself wanting to hear more of what he said. It was only about a year later when he challenged that ignorant hick for the Republican nomination. After the debates, I decided that Al Gore was not the man for me, nor was Bill Bradley. The only one who was shooting from the hip and taking on that Texas son-of-a-bitch was Senator McCain. In the primary of that year I registered Republican and voted for John McCain. In the fall I voted AGAINST (but not for AlGore) our current fucking idiot.

I've said it before, and reiterate it now. My support in the presidential bid of 2008 goes to Hillary. For all of its faults, the Clinton administration left us with a budget surplus. The republicans were on a witch-hunt from day one to crucify this guy before he ever came into his own, while they should have been after Ross Perot, who really cost them the election of 1992. So the gays in the military was not such a terrific fight. He did work with the republicans to work out a system of EARNING wellfare benefits, so they are not just a hand-out.

I diverge. The impeachment thing still rings sour with me. It was unwarranted. Former Governor, Bob Taft, got off with a little slap on the wrist. Hillary went from First Lady with a vision to Senator with a Plan. She tried to reform health-care (to no avail, but as first lady, did more than this Texas Ass Hole has done as president). It is this reviewers opinion that she has EARNED the office. It is not a Black/White issue. I liked Senator Obama when I heard him at the 2004 Convention.

I like him less as he attacks the Clintons.

Six paragraphs later I get to my point.

As a faithful Democrat who is loyal to my party, I support our next President of these United States, Hillary Rodham Clinton. If, however, my party forsakes me, and chooses senator Obama, (like that name-humping son-of-a-bitch, Ted Kennedy) I support the next President of these United States, Arizona Senator, John Mc Cain.

It is, now, 2/1/8, and I guess time will tell.

2 comments:

MR LAYTOM or MR GANZ said...

THE DRAGON LADY SCARES ME. FIRST OF ALL ALL THAT CRYING IS SO UNPRESIDENTIAL. RONALD REAGAN ONLY CRIED TWICE, AND THAT WAS BECAUSE HE KNEW HOW TO CRY ON CUE. THE MAN AFTER ALL WAS AN ACTOR

Elgarf said...

WTF?