Sunday, August 24, 2008

Loss?





Having been away from the homebase this summer I did not get to post as frequently as I would have liked, nor could I comment on some of the events that have occurred over the last couple months. Today I was listening to George Carlin's "Occupation Foole" on vinyl. I came to realize that even though the material is thirty-five years old it is not dated. Sure, there are references to the then current Nixon administration, but what has always made his comedy work is the way he relates it to us. "Little things we all share", "People I could do without" and other lists could be filled out individually by any of us, but Mr. Carlin took them to the extreme and pulled us all in. He had a different way of viewing the world. He wouldn't take anything at face value and always looked at the other possibilities. He pointed out the absurdity in common, everyday phrases and events and asked us why we accepted them as such. I have always been a cynic so his "comedy" seemed to find me without my ever looking for it. It is as much a part of my personality as the music I listen to, the movies I watch and the politics I support (and abhor).

I was at my mom's when the Chief called and said, "we lost Mr. Carlin." I heard him correctly but wanted him to repeat it just to help it sink in. My first thought was quite strange. It wasn't a feeling of sorrow or loss, and to be honest I don't really know how to express it. Maybe the Chief could fill us in on that, after all he was talking to me at the time. The best way I could put it was that Mr. Carlin had done his work and it was time for him to move on. He gave us all the instructions we needed and now we're on our own.

I have included three drawings of people who have influenced me and have moved on. The first that you see is Hunter S. Thompson, the second is Roger Keith "Syd" Barret of Pink Floyd, and finally we have Mr. Carlin. I admit that the last one is a little rough, but I wanted to do something quick and there it is. I am especially proud of the first two. All three individuals represent various aspects of the counter-culture of the 60s and 70s and, while they are no longer with us in body, they live on through their material and will continue to inspire the masses, giving them alternate points of view. So, I guess its not so much of a loss after all.

Thanks, guys.

2 comments:

The Chief said...

Great drawings, Elgarf.

I know the influence each has had on you and it's a shame we no longer have these and others like them.

It really is up to a new generation to take what they've started.

Elgarf said...

Thank you for the kind words, Chief. I know that aside from Mr. Carlin your list would look quite different. What would you think of "a cross-eyed nun with a bullwhip and a bottle of gin" as my next tattoo? Might prove interesting.