Thursday, September 13, 2007

...and the music played on



I begin this post with a respectful nod to Queen City Musings, which for certain political reasons, is no longer in existence. The Blogspot is a little less witty, and a little less informative, and a lot less cheerful today, and as we are now beginning Ramadan I think it is only fitting to cry out, "CURSE THE INFIDELS!!!" Were it not for said Muse this site would not be up and running, and I welcome his comments and even his postings if he would so grace us here.

I did have the chance to download the Steppin' Out video last night, and what a flashback. I was on the right track with my comments yesterday. What I had forgotten was that not only was Joe Jackson sitting in the lonely hotel room while the busy city went on without him, but so too did the chamber maid dream of Stepping Out as she made up the room of the well-to-do woman, dancing around while holding up a borrowed evening gown. While not melancholy, the song and the video both have a bitter-sweet feel, and the Jazz/Pop sound of it and the Night and Day album rank it, at least in my mind, somewhere near Steely Dan's Aja.

2 comments:

Tony said...

I thank you, Elgarf. Truly a hubling bit of well-wishing for the now-defunct Queen City Musings site. As you said, QCM has gone due to "political concerns" which is ludicrous but true. I must be honest, it was me who decided to shut down QCM, I was not forced but it just seemed like more hassle than it was worth.

I appreciate the offer to have a voice on Elgarf Miscellany and would be humbled and honored to do so. I thank Elgarf for his many contributions to QCM and for his wonderful writings here.

I also thank Elgarf for his friendship - truly a cut above all others.

Thanks, Elgarf

-The Blogger formerly known as the Muse.

Anonymous said...

IT IS VERY SAD WHEN THE MUSE NEEDS TO SHUT DOWN DUE TO POLITICAL CORRECTNESS. F THEM AND S ON THEM THOSE M FERS. LETS HAVE THE MUSE BACK.