Friday, September 21, 2007

Jena 6

After listening to the reports on this story I wanted to come home and write up some thoughts. Before I could get to the computer I received a somewhat heated phone call from a good friend who had been listening to the same reports and who, while fundamentally on the same side of the ISSUE, took exception to the coverage. I would like to outline my thoughts and then get your feedback.

Let me first say that I believe Don Imus got the shaft. Does he say things that he shouldn't? Yes. Does this make him a hate-filled bigot. No. If you listen to Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, Ann Coulter you will find hate-filled rhetoric and character assassination that hides behind the first ammendment. I don't challenge their right to broadcast what they broadcast and do from time to time enjoy the airwaves of the EIB network. My only point is that Imus' comment was stupid, childish, inappropriate and worthy of an apology,censure,fine, etc., but not the witch hunt that led to his departure.

Having said that, as I understand this story in Jena, there was an outside gathering on the school grounds. The one shaded area was normally occupied by a certain group of white students. One or more of the black students ASKED FOR PERMISSION to sit under the tree. They didn't want to cause trouble. They were given permission and sat with the white students (are we back in the 60s? Are we not past this?). The next day there were nooses hanging from said tree. The white student (or students) was given a 3 day suspension from school. Upon returning to school the "6" apparently beat him within an inch of his life and were charged with attempted murder. If these are not the facts, than I truly do not understand this case.

If the above is true than I say the attempted murder charge was probably little more than racism, and I am glad that the charges have been reduced to assault. Should this group be charged with assault? Of course they should. Was the beating justified? I say yes. When you live in Louisiana, two years out of Katrina where the Bush administration is still taking heat for their delay in responding to the needs of the poor black community, and race relations are strained, who in their right mind would think that hanging nooses on a tree would be a good idea?(nor would it ever be a good idea). Personally, I think the bastard is lucky he made it out alive. My guess is he won't be displaying such public hatred for any minority group any time soon. If I were a parent of the 6, I would be proud, having said that, you can't beat a person half to death and walk away unpunished. Working with the 11-14 age group, I know that when there is a fist fight, it is counted as assault and the authorities are called in, regardless of the kids' skin color (most of ours are white).

So I guess I don't understand the protest, and I know that was the purpose of the above-mentioned phone call. If people are there to show support of the 6, hell, I am with them. If they are saying that these kids did nothing wrong, they are fighting a losing battle.

3 comments:

The Chief said...

I have to say, Elgarf - I am with you on this one, that's for sure! I know I've expressed to you my discontent with this - we're just losing sight of what happened and that's exactly what Sharpton and Jesse Jackson want. Forget that they, too, committed a crime - because it was in response to something they were offended by racially, it should just be dismissed and these kids should be praised. There needs to be justice - PROPER JUSTICE - meted out for all involved parties. Alas, that may not happen now that Al & Jesse are marching this one out!

Elgarf said...

Welcome, Chief. I have to admit that in 2004, I thought the Rev. Al Sharpton brought a lot to the table in the debates. Was he a viable candidate? No, but only because he leans to far to the left like Dennis. Now I DO NOT think these kids should be crucified, but as most of them are minors, it would seem to me that the assault charges would not necessarily prevent them from being productive citizens in the future. The whole situation is very unfortunate. I don't believe that Jena is a racist town (NPR had several indignant citizens stating their case) but if one were to be impartial and rule, it would seem that there is fault on both sides, although the whites were CLEARLY provoking the blacks. I guess I cannot add anything more to that.

Anonymous said...

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS STORY. THEY SAY THE WHITE GUY WAS PACKING, BUT NOW WE GOT JESSIE JERKSON INVOLVED AND THIS IS GOING TO BE A RACE RACE RACE ISSUE, WHICH ALL IT IS A GUY GETTING HIS ASS KICKED BY 6 OTHER GUYS.